Thursday, March 22, 2012

Just an old sweet song....

Georgia on my mind....

Trip to Atlanta to meet my new (and hopefully FINAL!) hip surgeon was a smashing success.  Dr. Tim Schrader is a wonderful, very sweet and very thorough doctor and I am absolutely elated to get to work with him and his entire delightful staff!  My white knight....  *sigh*

Snap!  Back to reality!  So, now that I'm back in the Houston area, Dr. S wants me to get another set of MRI/Arthrograms and a hip CT before surgery with him.  He says I am a perfect candidate for a reverse PAO (see definitions for acronym discernment) and gave me the highlights of my pre/post op instructions.  Stop NSAIDS 2 weeks prior to surgery.  Arrive in Atlanta about 2-3 days prior to surgery for labwork and to donate blood for cell saver, should they need to give me a transfusion during surgery (apparently there can be significant blood loss with a PAO).  I should be in the hospital for about 3 days post-op, with drains from the operative site (yay....not!) and a foley (double yay...NOT!).  After he removes all that mess and discharges me from the hospital, he wants me to stay in town a few days before hopping back on a plane.  Recovery at home will include TED compression stockings for 4 weeks, daily baby Aspirin for 4 weeks (no Lovenox shots...yay!!!) and crutches with very light toe-touches for 6-8 weeks.  Then progressing to only one crutch for a month, and then a cane should I feel the need for support on long distances.  Yes, yes...let the jokes commence...Amy is getting screwed!  There will be 3-5 large screws in place in the greater trochanter (that's the "elephant ear" looking part of your hip, y'all) that he says will be quite painful.  After the bones fully fuse and heal, should they remain painful, he says he can later remove the screws.  So, basically we're looking at a 3-4 month full recovery, Lord-willing.  THEN we'll start talking about the OTHER hip....
Sweet!  Sign me up!  When do we start???  :-D

No surgery date set quite yet....working through all the insurance hoops and shenanigans, but I promise y'all will be the first to know!  In all probability we're looking at May/June...woohoo!  Just in time for those yummy GEORGIA PEACHES!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Amy, my 18 year old daughter needs PAO surgery too and we had a wonderful visit with Dr. Rosenfeld. Why did he not do the surgery for you? Would love to hear about your experience having it done out of state. Please contact me at lisabhoffman@mac.com so we can talk directly. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete