Tuesday, February 26, 2013

PUMP you up!

Hans und Franz are ringing in my ears these days. I've finally, FINALLY hit the workout circuit after a nearly 6 year absence! And what a learning curve! Oh my! Well, not only is my body 6 years older....it's 6 years HEAVIER too! These hips have kept me sidelined for far too long and it's time to get Mama back in shape! With many recommendations and with the blessing of Physical Therapy, I've started the "Couch to 5K" program. Now, let's be totally honest...I've NEVER been a runner. Ever. I've watched other people, including my father, effortlessly glide across the pavement with envy in my heart, for years. I've read on Facebook, friends who did their "latest half marathon", with their glowing smile and holding that coveted medal, plastered all over their profile page. Well! Sit back no more!! Imma gonna do it!!! So, now into the second week of the program....I'm about as fast as a snail crawling over peanut butter. But #1- It's happening! It's really happening! #2- Every time it gets a teeny, tiny bit easier....the rhythm of the run vs. breath gets smoother. #3- Most importantly, it DOESN'T hurt! Okay, that's a lie. It hurts. But not like before surgery...it's more of a tightness, a "I've been fat and out of shape for FAR too long" pain. It's not the sharp "oh my gosh, someone take the stabbing, flaming sword out of my hip, and oh no my hip is going to dislocate!!!" pain. So, hooray! And stay tuned...I've got my eye on some races coming up. Who knows? I may be posting MY smiling face holding my very first 5K medal before we know it! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment